Monday, October 3, 2011

Who is this Blog for Anyway?

It didn't take me long to decide on a title for this blog when I created it. I knew I needed an outlet for my thoughts and for me writing was cathartic. I knew I shared similar emotions as many people out there - the older we get the more lonely we feel. Life passes quickly, and people travel down separate roads. Marriages, children, jobs and faith transform friends into acquaintances. Time becomes more of a commodity. The luxury of sitting back, collecting your thoughts and taking a breath is rare. There's little time to ever enjoy the tiniest bit of solitude in your life.

That said, the title of this blog is not just obviously stating I feel like the only single girl in America. It's a declaration of my life; proof that I'm so much more than just a girl, existing on her own.

Who is to say someone may read this blog and feel an inkling of comfort that I'm here experiencing the same feelings, alone, unsure, and yes, a little bit scared. See, this blog helps me explore my sadness and light, but it also allows me a chance to feel I may have touched someone or made them think.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not on an intellectual plight to prove a point or substantiate my self worth. This blog isn't going to facilitate the cure for cancer or ever be nominated for a scholarly award. I'm not here for that. I don't think like that. I picked up a pencil when I was five and wrote my first short story. I filled my first three notebooks of poetry by age 10. Still hidden in my apartment is an old spiral notebook filled with stories, pages stained by age and tears, only shown to a select few people. My life is words, scattered and nonsensical.

I'm often misunderstood and laughed at. I'm clumsy and awkward. I say some pretty stupid things. But I'm not dumb. I see everything. I hear everything - every comment about my lack of children, my age, my being alone. I hear it all. And I keep those words with me, hidden in my chest like tiny daggers.

I know there are people out there like me. People looking for relief from the pain. Awkward women that are too smart to be arm candy; lonely men that think women are looking for a superhero. I know you're out there and this blog is for you. All of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment