Friday, October 7, 2011

I Love Making a Fool of Myself...

I really don't, but I do love experiments, and I'm beginning one tonight. So after an odd week of posting my experiences with a particular spider, I told my Facebook friends - rather jokingly - that I was going to post a personal ad. It was blatantly honest and sarcastic...and I loved it. So my friends commented, "OMG you have to do this." "Please let me know if this gets responses" and "You have to put this on an online dating site and see what happens". So I have, and I'm going to document what happens during my online dating experience.
Let me preface this by saying I'm not a fan of online dating sites and feel like people that do it aren't necessary honest. So this is particularly interesting to me considering the personal profile (see below) is brutally honest.
So we start tonight. I went to OKCupid, since it was free, and I'm totally not paying for an online dating site; and created a profile using the information I had posted on my Facebook page. Here it is:
"Willing to kill bugs, open jars and go into the "creepy" storage room; share love of bacon, laughing at people that trip and fall, and a good bottle of scotch; will appreciate my quirkiness, eccentricities and humor; be extremely passionate, yet understand I don't want to see you 24/7; understand I make my own money, support myself and don't want to support you. Politicians, egotists and technophobes need not apply - I don't want to talk about your job, how great you are or have you ask me to fix your pc. It's preferable if you live far enough away so I don't have to see you often, but close enough if I can't open my pickles; Must have impeccable grammar and be familiar with Firefly, Felicia Day and Albi the Racist Dragon. No smokers or men in jean shorts."
So, I posted this information, and answered almost 100 questions honestly - I mean really honestly. That was roughly 2 hours ago.
So since I've uploaded my information, I've received in less than two hours:
8 emails and 6 quivers (not too sure what those are)...See what I get tomorrow.
So, this experiment will prove what's important when posting an online profile, brutal honesty or white lies. I'm intrigued. Are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment