Friday, October 14, 2011

The Beginning of a Weekend and Bacon Jokes

What could be better than the start of a weekend, a payday and bacon? Each one of these things creates the perfect day, and the day has been close to perfect. My studies when it comes to my online dating experiment, has been far from perfect. Since joining OK Cupid with my more than honest profile, I've received more than 200 messages and 300 page visitors. I'm a bit overwhelmed by the entire concept. It's very sweet to have so many people show an interest in my profile, but it makes a girl wonder what exactly these guys want.
The youngest - 21 years old -simply said, "You're so pretty." The fact the I'm 15 years older than him is quite disturbing. I have several single men and even a few married men, which when I ask why they are on a site like OK Cupid they simply say, "I'm in a loveless marriage and lonely." Wow. Do their wives know that their husbands are online looking for companionship? How would I feel if I were that wife? How horribly sad. One guy said he and his wife were in a loveless marriage and were together solely for their children. This entire process is exhaustive. I can't believe this is how couples these days choose to live their lives. Sad and lonely and looking for love that can never be accepted. I'm so incredibly lucky not to have children and in a situation where I feel they will be emotionally scarred with every move I make. I am, in fact, very lucky.
So far the week-long experience with online dating has been an interesting journey. It's obviously not something I can say is for me. But who's to say it's not for someone else? People I'm sure have met their soul mates online. I just don't know if that's possible. Then again, I'm not sure finding a soul mate at all is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment